Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Well What Do YOU Do In the Summertime...?

I waste time. It's basically what I do all year long only now it's hot.

Every morning I wake up with the hope that today will be a productive day, and every night I lay me down to sleep with the knowledge that I can't account for what I did with most of my day. Do you know how many hours of piano practice I have put in since the first of July? Roughly eight hours. That's eight hours over thirty six days. I'm almost unable to remember the notes and keys on that piano in my front room, but as much as I have neglected my musical studies, my thirteen year old has put in even less practice. I won't embarrass her more than that, but trust me, it is abysmal.

On the plus side...I'll have to work on that some more.

My running shoes refuse to be called "running" shoes at this point because I've only been taking them for walks, but you know what? I'm not as young as I used to be, and you know what else? I really feel it. My knees pop when I walk, and the thought of running makes me sweat. Also at this point in the summer, I have to get out the door by the butt crack of dawn to avoid heat stroke. Murmur, murmur, murmur.

In other news, I have found the artwork for the cover of my next book. I'm calling it "Misc. Short Stories by D.P. Davidson." Catchy, right?" I love it.

As the title suggests it is a book of short stories. This has been an interesting experience, much different than my vast previous experience in writing. There are about seven stories in the book, and I work on them all at the same time. It's quite the juggle, but since I'm failing everywhere else I have the time.

You know what else I enjoy doing? Denying my children the opportunity to see their friends. I say I enjoy it, but really I would rather tell them no then to crawl into my 200 degree van to drive them anywhere, so most of our conversations go something like this:

"Mom, can I..."

"No."

It's a short conversation, but you'd be surprised how many times I have it in any given day.

I also now understand why, as a kid when I would beg my mother to go swimming, she'd say "no, because it's too hot." It's hot! That's why I wanted to go swimming. Her reason never made any sense to me. However as an adult I realize there isn't enough water in the world to counteract the heat one must traverse through to get to the "ol' swimmin' hole" and "swimmin' holes" are outside most of the time, so you get to traverse, and then puddle in the heat.

I won't even allow the kids to call their friends because it inevitably leads to "Mom, can I?" My poor kids...It's too hot to care. Sorry.

In closing I would like to say WELCOME HOME to my sweet niece Sophia. She's been in the hospital since the day she was born in February of last year. She has fought every day to get here and her parents, sisters, aunts, cousins, uncles and grandparents are so happy to have her home. We are grateful for the love our Heavenly Father has showered upon our family in the life of this sweet spirit, and we look forward to getting to know her better.

Hallelujah!

1 comment:

Gwen said...

The last paragraph was so sweet! You did your share of helping us get her home and I thank you for that. We are more than thrilled to have her home. It's a huge adjustment but we're doing okay :o)