Saturday, August 6, 2011

Random Rant #1

Good eve'n dear readers,
I would like to share a new segment of "It Seemed Like A Good Idea..." called Random Rant. I hope you enjoy the program.

In this first installment of Random Rant, I would like to introduce you to the aggravation called Finding Home School Curriculum. As you may or may not know, I home school Eeny, Meeny, and Miney (Moe still comes and goes as he pleases) and it's going pretty well for us. I would not recommend it for everyone but if you are commited then it can be a very enriching experience.

However, there is the question of finding educational programs you want to use. There are programs available that have everything all together, every subject, lesson plans, tests, workbooks, the whole shebang. Those can be really wonderful but it also means that you are devoted to one program, even if you don't like the format across the board. I see the value in boxed sets but I don't choose to go that route.

I have chosen the piecemeal or Frankenstein route. This program, as the name suggests, is created from several different programs. I have one for Math, one for LA, a different reading program and a fourth for Social Studies. I have not found a Science or History program I, even a little bit, like.

Here is my dilemma. The Science programs I have been able to find are extremely secular or extremely christian. Now before anyone raises a ruckus, I have no issues with christianity as I myself am christian, I just want a happy medium and no one seems able to accomplish that.

There is also the problem of content. As in, if I want to see what is IN the book I have to BUY the book. I have spent more money than I care to admit on books that had lovely blurbs but were crappy out of the box. So short story long, I will never buy another book that I can't look at first. Well duh, you're probably saying to yourself but it's not that easy. Not every curriculum is available at the local bookstore. A lot has to be gotten online.

So I will continue my search for Science/History programs I can live with. Until then...we'll go to the library.

This concludes the first episode of Random Rant. Have a lovely evening.

No comments: