Thursday, July 14, 2022

The New Guy...

My oldest, Eenie, got married this year. For the sake of privacy, the man she has married shall ever more be referred to as B-Mo in this blog. I may also call him B-Mo in real life as B-Mo is a character in Adventure Time and I love that show. 

So Ennie and B-Mo married in March and we had a lovely reception in our back yard. I planted lots of flowers and the grass was a lovely shade of green. The weather was wonderful and it was just a really nice end to a days long activity.

See Eenie and B-Mo wanted to get married in San Antonio. Thus the Thursday before the ceremony, the bride's peeps (that would be us) drove out to San Antonio where we stayed the night. Friday morning was spent primping and prepping, then the ceremony was performed that afternoon. We are Latter Day Saints or Mormons, so the marriage was performed in the temple there. Thanks to COVID, only five from each side could attend the actual ceremony while the rest waited outside. 

The guests who waited outside were some serious troopers, I tell ya. They drove for four hours even though they knew they would have to wait outside. I've never felt such love for my family as those people showed us that day. 

After the ceremony we spent hours and hours and days posing for pictures before the sweet release of dinner, which our new son's parents graciously hosted. Then, we drove home one passenger lighter because Eenie wanted to stay with that guy she'd married. Poo. 

We got back to the house late Friday night then spent the next morning setting up for the reception. Some things I learned through this process:

1. Renting tables and chairs can be pricey, but sometimes it's better to pay the money to avoid the aggravation of finding the time and resources to pick up and drop off those same items from a third location. Thankfully, that last minute revelation didn't bite me in the butt, and I was able to rent the items we needed just in time. 

Aren't they just adorable?!


2. One basically agrees to surrender one's entire house to the wedding for months before, and a solid month after, the event. Those cute cupcake towers and punch bowels do not store themselves. We were very fortunate to have had everything basically handed to us by a woman whose daughter was married over ten years ago. Those bins of lights and tablecloths have fulfilled the purpose of their existence many, many times, and a super bonus is they have already moved to the next family in need of wedding décor. Huzzah!

3. Just rent the dang tent. You can buy one for what it costs to rent one, but it's made of toilet paper and bread ties. The money is gone anyway, so do yourself a favor and fork over the dough.

4. Be prepared to have food and drink coming out of your ears for at least two weeks after the party has ended. We still have bacon wrapped jalapenos in the freezer. I've heard it's better to have too much than not enough. That's what they say, but I'm still not sure. 

5. My mother in law is a SAINT. Marriage is an adjustment and not just for the happy couple. Sometimes, I draw blood for biting my tongue so hard. I can only imagine how frustrating it had to be my own mother in law. DFD, I am so sorry for sometimes making things harder than they needed to be. I hate to break it to all the young people out there, but you've only been adulting for a handful of years. Try to remember that when you think you know all the things. 

So now I have achieved the rank of mother in law. It could be worse...for B-Mo.

Muahahahaha!


Aren't we just adorable?!
                                           

No comments: