Sunday, September 19, 2021

I've Never Been Accused of Being Graceful...

 I just can't win. I was telling a friend it seems like our guardian angels have left us to our own devices because we just can't not hurt ourselves. I've had some pretty moronic accidents that have left me with bumps and bruise, accidents I couldn't recreate if you paid me. My one comfort was that at least I had a fun story to share. 

Then this happened...


My toes are hidden in the shadow. Promise.


On the plus side I had just gotten a pedicure.

 
I used to have an ankle here.




Thursday last week I stepped off a curb. That's it. That's what happened. Somewhere between the curb and the pavement my foot stopped supporting me. Or maybe I just needed to lie down? At any rate, I found myself forcefully moved to the ground.

After a moment of reflection and gratuitous cursing, I hauled my hinder off the ground and limped back to the van. Miney had accompanied me on my errand, but had applied all of her attention to her phone thus she did not see me disappear from the rearview mirror. If she had, she would have already been well versed on so many, many things. My ankle was throbbing, but Miney is unlicensed so I had to drive myself home. As I gingerly loaded myself into the van, she asked where we were headed next and I said, "Home, because I have fallen." She was unconcerned because I fall all the time, so what?

Well, by the time we got home, maybe ten minutes later, my ankle had swollen to an unbelievable size and the pain had become unbearable. It hurt like a bad dog when Babe pulled my sock off. My ankle bone was the size of a softball and it hurt. A lot.

I was so certain I had broken that bugger that I had Babe run me to the Carenow, but because I half-ass everything, it wasn't broken just severely sprained. The doc splinted my ankle and sent me on my way. Babe got me ice cream on the way home.

So now I'm gimping around the house on crutches or "death sticks," if you will. My lack of grace is amplified with crutches and I'm just waiting for one of Moe's shoes to pop up out of no where, trip me up and launch me into space. My dogs have decided the best way to help me is to walk ahead of me, then decide at the last moment to move to the left, no the right. Wait! Yes, the left.

One of the pups has also decided the best place to hang out is right under the recliner where I sit with my leg propped six feet in the air. So when I have to go to the bathroom, I have to make sure she gets out of the way because the kids would be upset if I accidently killed her in the chair.

Potty breaks are a fun trip in themselves as I have to push my stack of pillow to the left, reach for my crutches and make sure the foot rest snaps snuggly in place before I stand up, or it will pop back up and smack me in my ouchie ankle because, of course it would.

We're headed to Florida next week so I'm thankful it isn't broken. I need both feet for jellyfish stings and I am capable of bring sand inside without involving a clunky cast.

Update: It has been a year since I hurt myself (that time). I still walk with a limp and my ankle swells if I walk too far or stand too long. Clearly I am of an age where once it's broke it stays that way. The trip to Florida was fun. The place we rented was super tiny so crutches were just the best. Also, the floor was tiled because sand, so the grips on the bottom of my crutches had nothing to grip, but did make for a heart stopping slip and slide ride.

I made it out to the beach the first day, but the sand was difficult to traverse on crutches (you probably already knew that, but I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree) and my splint picked up a lot of sand, so I mostly hung out in our cabana.

I want to go to Florida again, but I'll plan to stay sedentary, wrapped in bubble wrap, for the weeks preceding the trip. 

I regret nothing!

                                                            

No comments: