Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Say It Ain't So...

I learned a painful truth today - not everyone likes me.

Let me clarify. I have run into a couple of people who don't like me, but it never worried me much. I just figured they 1.) were a big jerk anyway, or 2.) would come to love me once they got to know me.

Evidently number two is not correct.

I know this woman. I like her, we get along, we seem to agree on some things, she's a nice a lady.

She does not like me.

I am thankful that in spite of that fact she has always been civil to me. She's never been unkind, or raised her voice, or been blatantly hateful, but she makes it known that we will never be tight. I had hoped maybe with time she might warm up to me.

Nope.

I'm thinking that's never gonna happen. She made her disregard exceedingly apparent this afternoon. Once again she was not ugly, but I got the message. Have you ever heard "it's not what you say, but how you say it?" That would be incorrect. "Go to hell" in any inflection is still "go to hell."

Now I'm trying not to let it bother me, but frankly, it does. The things she doesn't like about me I cannot change, and I suspect that no matter how friendly we are she will always hold it against me. As a matter of fact I believe that, but for this one thing she would want to be my friend. But like I said, I can't change what she has a problem with.

It's my fault that it bothers me. I let it get to this point. I had hoped that time spent with me might soften her heart, but...

It makes me sad.

No comments: