Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The Dukes of Hazzard...

 Whilst in the meditation chamber, upon the throne of contemplation, I began to reflect upon the various and sundry television shows of my youth. There were many to chose from and many that I enjoyed; Perfect Strangers, Night Court, Punky Brewster, Bosom Buddies, so many awesome shows!

Then the wheel of mental confusion spun again and settled on the Dukes of Hazzard. I've never really thought the deep thoughts about the Dukes, but it's kind of a sad situation. Bo, Luke and Daisy are three cousins who lived with their uncle Jesse in Georgia. Jesse is about a hundred years old and it seemed he's raised these three young adults, who I repeat, are cousins. Why does that matter? 

Because that means Jesse has not one, not two, but THREE siblings who couldn't raise their own children for whatever reasons. After Bo and Luke left the show, they were replaced with two other cousins making in total FIVE siblings whose children Jesse had to care for. 

Then there's the county commissioner whose name is Boss Hogg. He had a lacky sheriff named Roscoe P. Coltrane who either has a stutter or a catch phrase (good, good, good)? Another office names Enos who I think dated Daisy Duke and her very short short for a while and a mechanic called Cooter who seemed morally opposed to sleeves.

I remember an orange car (I was a kid back then) called the General Lee with a confederate flag and an obnoxious horn. I don't think that car even had doors as those Duke boys never EVER used them. I'm pretty sure they didn't believe in walking if it took them around the General Lee either. It was over the hood or not at all.

That reminds me, I loved the Goonies something fierce, too. You know, watching that as an adult opened my eyes to how absolutely innocent I really was! Holy dumpster fire, Batman! That flick was filled to the gills with dirty references. Don't get me wrong, I think they're funny as heck, I just don't know how MY parents were able to watch these things with a straight face.

I watched the Goonies with my kids and I was PRAYING they wouldn't remember, let alone understand some of those references. I'm truly hoping they don't remember because there is something magical about singing a song (or watching a movie) you've sung (or watched) for years and finally truly understanding what was happening.

Mine was Little Red Corvette by Prince. The shock I felt as I sang about the "Trojans and some of them used," then "thinking 'bout the Jockeys that were there before me." Oh my poor heart! It was WONDERFUL!

I hope my children get that adrenaline rush at least once in their lives. It's AMAZING! Eenie said her Come to Jesus was Stacey's Mom by Fountains of Wayne.

Did anyone else have that revelation? Wanna share with the group?


             


 

No comments: